Wednesday, November 08, 2006

TV comes to my project.

Today was pretty uneventful. Now with the new tutora Lupe, the kids arrive at our room later, say around 10 of 2, so I can probably start coming at that time instead of the normal 1:30. I reviewed the vocabulary words with my kids: we have two sets so far, one for weather, the other for classroom items. The flashcards Mark and Julie left are incredible, and since I wrote the words on the back I can flip the cards around and get the kids used to "reading," or at least recognizing, words. So they now know pretty well 12, yes 12, words in English.

During the day I went with Monica and Jaime and bought a television to donate to the "Complejo" which I am finally informed is the real name of our branch of the larger "Beneficencia." I am using most of the $ which was granted to me from my dad's Quaker meeting. The rest is pretty much all used up on puzzles, xeroxing, jump-ropes, posterboard, etc.

I'll bring the TV in tomorrow. They will hopefully get it mounted on the wall right away. afterwards, I don't know how things will change, but it will definitely supply another option to tutors and volunteers for ways to teach and/or distract the children for a while.

No comments: